New York City Pancreatic Research Walk
June 27, 2021 | Start times: 8:30am and 9am | Pier 84 at Hudson River Park
In an effort to minimize crowd density in the park, we will have two start times on Sunday, June 27th at Pier 84 in Hudson River Park.
8:30 am START TIME I
Opening Ceremony, Ribbon Cutting,
8:45 am Groups of 50 will leave every 5 minutes
9:00 am START TIME II
Opening Ceremony, Ribbon Cutting
9:15 am Groups of 50 will leave every 5 minutes
12:00 pm Event ends
No, you can select your start time. We encourage walkers who want to avoid the larger group gatherings to join us for the Start Time II.
- In accordance with the most updated CDC and NY State guidelines, fully vaccinated participants can attend without wearing a mask. Unvaccinated participants, under both CDC and state guidance must wear masks in all public settings or take advantage of the Neighborhood Walk option.
- Social distancing markers will guide participants to safe household gathering areas.
- There will be a contactless check-in upon arrival at Pier 84.
- Hand sanitizer and disposable masks will be available for all participants.
- Participants will be asked to arrive just before the start and to quickly exit after their finish. While we traditionally enjoy coming together after the Walk, we will not be hosting any post-Walk activities in 2021.
- The Lustgarten Foundation will follow any additional guidelines set forth by the local, state and federal government.
- The Lustgarten Foundation will rely on each participant to self-assess whether they are in good health and able to attend.
Current NY State guidelines allow fully vaccinated participants to attend outdoor gatherings without wearing masks, however if you are not vaccinated or feel more comfortable wearing a mask, please be prepared by bring a mask. Limited amount of PPE will be onsite as well.
While the health requirements for this event are subject to change, at this time participants will not need to provide a negative COVID-19 test result or proof of vaccination to attend.
The Lustgarten Foundation will work with local authorities to adhere to current guidelines. At this time outdoor gatherings are limited to 500 people. Please see here for current New York City outdoor gathering guidelines
- Walk day t-shirt mailed in advance if registered by June 18th (contingent on raising or donating $50) otherwise to be sent after the event
- Tribute Bib to write in names of those you are walking in honor/memory of
- Survivors will receive a special t-shirt and hat
Pier 84 is located on the Hudson River Park Trust intersection of 44th street and West Side Highway in NYC, situated between the Intrepid and the Circle Line. Parking Lots are available nearby here, but are also accessible by public transit: A, C, E subways, M42 and M50 buses.
At this time we are encouraging everyone to register in advance so we can comply with the maximum 500 attendees. Currently, registration cut off is Saturday June 26th at 8 pm ET, however this is subject to change. We also highly encourage all to register in advance for safety and avoiding lines/gathering. In order to receive your event day t-shirt in advance, you should plan to register by Friday, June 18th (contingent on raising or donating $50)
- All participants are requested to register in advance to avoid extended contact between our volunteers.
- Participants are encouraged to arrive no earlier than 30 minutes before your Start time.
- Participants should be prepared to bring their own filled water bottles, both for safety and for Hudson River Park’s environmental initiatives.
- Volunteers will be stationed socially distanced to help you check in quickly.
- T-shirts will be distributed in advance if you raise or donate $50 by June 18th
- Port-o-lets will be available at the Start/Finish area.
- Participants will enjoy a brief welcome and be directed on the route.
- Participants will depart in waves to allow for social distancing.
The route will be about 3 miles from Pier 84 at 44th street, down to Chelsea Piers at 23rd street and back. There is also a 1 mile route with a turnaround point for a shorter distance option. Route signage and volunteers will mark the course.
Individual packaged food will be available at Pier 84. We encourage you to bring your own refillable water bottles to ensure not only a safe event, but to assist Hudson River Park’s goal of avoiding plastic waste on-site.
No, there will be no leaving of any belongings at the Start Line at Pier 84. Please refrain from bringing bags beyond what can fit in your pockets or a small bag, purse, or fanny pack.
- The Pancreatic Walk for Research will take place rain or shine. In the case of a weather emergency, a notification will be posted on the website, through social media, and an email sent to notify of delay or cancellation.
- Should we not be able to host the event at Pier 84 because of safety concerns, participants are invited to join us by walking in your neighborhood or local park. Or get creative and climb stairs, hike a trail, or walk on the treadmill. You choose your walk experience, but you are still participating in solidarity with hundreds of your neighbors to support those who have been touched by pancreatic cancer!
Strollers are of course allowed at the event. Pets are not allowed to participate at our in-person Pancreatic Walk for Research and will not be authorized to enter the Pier 84 start/finish site without proof of service animal documentation. Pets are always welcome and encouraged to ”participate” virtually from home